FBO Registration FAQs

Selling food supplements

It is a legal requirement to register yourself as an FBO (Food Business Operator), before you start selling food supplements.

Why do I need to register as an FBO?

Any business selling food must be registered with their local council at least 28 days before commencing sales of products. 

This is required for all food businesses operating in the UK

The relevant law is the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013, as may be amended or updated from time to time. 

How do I register as an FBO?

Registration is free and can be done online via your Local Authority.

To register, you will be asked to provide the Local Authority with your business details, including your contact information, food activities and premises details.

Click here for more information: https://www.food.gov.uk/business-guidance/food-supplements

Registration is a quick and easy process for most re-sellers, particularly if they are dropshipping and not holding stock (as there is then nothing for the Local Authority to inspect). 

We (Specialist Supplements Ltd) are registered as a Food Business Establishment with Powys County Council and Trading Standards. For all of our own certification, please click here